One of my favorite Picky Eater tips—family-style serving.
What is that??
Serving dinner (or any meal for that matter) family style means putting the meal on the table and allowing everyone to serve themselves what they’d like in the amount that they’d like. Of course, little ones will need some assistance until they learn the routine and develop scooping & serving skills.
Here are some benefits of serving meals this way:
- Autonomy- everyone is in charge of their own plate
- Connection– all food is available to everyone (picky eaters are choosing from the same foods as everyone else)
- Development– kiddos can gain skills in scooping, estimating portions, etc
- Table Manners- start with one bowl, serve yourself and pass it to the person next to you. Continue to do this until everyone has had the opportunity to serve themselves all the options
Snack: Yogurt Parfait
- Fruits (berries or diced fruits)
- Granola or other dried cereal
- Toasted coconut
- Mini chocolate chips
- In a bowl or tall glass layer yogurt, fruit, and granola. Enjoy!